Thursday, December 22, 2011

Free gifts

I love to shop and delight in finding things that are perfect for my family and friends, especially if my finds are at a bargain price.  I also make sure that anything that I have and no longer use or need gets to wherever it's needed.  

However, there are times when I feel that I am the one who listens and tries to make sure that others are provided for.  In the next moment, I am berating myself for this ungenerous and egocentric thought.  It is clear that, through whatever grace, I am fully provided for with a roof over my head, more than enough food, with people who love me and with whatever worldly comforts I crave. 

After a call this morning, it became clear how blessed I am with the people in my life.  A friend with whom I have not talked in a while called to let me know that his mother is gravely ill and has been in the hospital for the last month, now facing chemotherapy.  We had a long encouraging conversation about what is going on in both our lives and then finally hung up when both our lives intervened with what has to be done now.

I was so grateful that, in his moment of need, he reached out to me, knowing, I hope, that a conversation with me would cheer and strengthen him.  It felt like such a gift of trust that I was moved with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude.

In the same spirit, a neighbor on public assistance, not by her choice, who is struggling to care for two children, knocked firmly on my door yesterday.   When I opened it, she presented me with a miniature shopping bag.  In it was a Christmas-red scarf for which I had been searching and which she found in her latest outing.  It was exactly what I wanted to brighten up what I have been feeling is a drab and spiritless season.  Again, I was so moved by her gesture, especially since her financial situation does not allow for any luxuries.  As the recipient of such generosity, how can I ever again have a selfish thought?

Thank goodness for the angels in our lives who remind us how fortunate we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment