Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I just know.

Like you, I imagine, I make promises to myself on a daily basis about how I'm going to eat right and exercise, starting NOW!  Yet, at the end of every day, it is clear that, once again, the day has gone by and none of the steps I planned has been put in place.  Until now.

Exercising daily was and is part of that daily promise.  The amount of time and money I have spent trying to persuade and cajole and ease myself into exercising every day cannot be calculated.  My collection of books, magazines, print-outs from online searches, and DVDs could easily stock the fitness section of a small library.  Yet, aside from occasional short-lived spurts of activity, I have not been able to establish a lifetime habit of daily exercise.  Until now.

A little over two weeks ago, on Saturday, November 26, I had a short talk with myself and decided that, if nothing else, I would do one move a day, a modified sun salutation adapted from yoga.  That was it.  I have done it every day since and, for whatever reason, I know this will stick.  I don't know why.  I can't give you any insight into what made this time different.  It is and I just know.

I am up to doing 4 to 5 in a row each day.  Sometimes it leads into more yoga moves or into toning or aerobic moves and sometimes not.  But, it is happening every day and it will continue as long as I am able.  I don't know why.  I wish I could tell you what kicked it off.  I just know this time will stick, no hysteria, no beating or berating myself.

Maybe that is part of it.  My steady quiet conviction that this is now a daily occurrence for the rest of my life and that's it, no discussion.

What can I say?  Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment