Sunday, December 4, 2011

(R)Evolution

Another family party!  Another "big food" event!  Crispy chips, delectable cheeses and creamy dips calling me from the coffee table, my mother's famous Hungarian paprika chicken, aromatic spices folded into cool sour cream, reaching out, enticing me.  And the desserts!  Again, my mother's, a thickly richly layered chocolate cherry trifle, dense dark chocolate truffle cake, and, thanks to my brother, a new temptation to torture me, salty crispy pretzels drizzled with white and dark chocolates, molten caramel and crunchy chopped nuts.  Can you imagine it all?  Can you taste it all?  I can!  Looking for a green leaf, I found it under crumbled feta cheese and candied walnuts. 

What to do"?  How to deal?  I did not want to walk away from another family gathering, feeling like my insides were bursting and paying for it with days of extra pounds and regret.  This time I would be prepared.  I was going to pick and choose before I even got there.  My sister gave me advance warning by letting me know what was on the menu, none of it low-fat, barely a vegetable or a fruit in sight unless it was disguised by fat or sugar.

Armed with this information, I planned out my strategy.  I would contribute foods I enjoy and could eat.  Hours later and two hours late, I arrived, dragging a bag of grilled veggies, hummus, and fruit salad.  I added each to the appropriate table and then put together a plate for myself, whimpering only a little at the sight of my most favorite, blue cheese.  I then turned my attention to all the interesting, warm and talkative family and friends who had gathered to celebrate my nephew's arrival to adulthood, his 18th birthday.

Hours later again, driving home alone in the cold dark night, I gave myself a resounding cheer.  Yes!  I had gotten through the visit with a minimum of agony and no trespassing into forbidden foods.  Newly determined to do right by my body and my health, I declared fiercely, "This is a revolution!"

Yes, it is.  And, no, it's not.  Because, as fiercely and as quickly as you want it, it is actually an evolution.  Changing your habits and yourself takes time.  Lots of time, life-long time.  It's a never-ending process which can be exciting and tedious at once.  No matter how anxious and antsy you are, you need to hang onto the revolutionary fervor and see it through over time to get results.  It can truly and rightly be done no other way.  So, no matter how many instant winners there are out there and no matter how many extreme makeovers happen in a day or a week, you have to accept that lifetime changes take a lifetime.  You know it's worth it.  

So,

Learn from your slip-ups.
Cheer for your triumphs.
Be grateful for the time you are given.
Give thanks for the continuing opportunities you have.

You are worth the time and the effort!

Salud!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment