Thursday, November 10, 2011

Take a break!

OMG!  There's so much to do in every moment of every day!  It seems endless.  Rightly so because it is endless.  We have so many chores and choices.  There seems to be no time to take a break.

It's true.  If we take care of every task we supposedly need to handle, follow every thought, every whim, there is no time.  But, a break is crucial to our mental and physical health.  It is up to us to create that moment for ourselves.  For me, the first thing in the morning and the last thing at night are the easiest. 

In the morning, before I launch myself towards my laptop, I am now stopping to say, "Good morning" to myself and "thank you" for the new day, take one long head-to-toe stretch, and think about the overall direction I'm taking for the day.  It takes all of 73 seconds.  Why it feels like such a chunk of time to take out I don't know, but it blesses and brings sense to a day-long run of all that has to be squeezed into the hours between waking and sleeping. 

In the evening, instead of just collapsing into bed, I find that taking a few seconds to give thanks for the day helps me settle down more easily.  Congratulating myself for all that I tackled during the day counteracts any dissatisfaction I'm feeling with what's left to be done.  (Realistically, is everything ever all done?)  Also, making a list of whatever pops into my head for the next day helps quiet my mind.  

Taking time like this needs conscious effort at first.  But, I know, although I haven't experienced it yet, that eventually these will become habits that fit seamlessly into the day.

Today,

TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF!

Try it.  You'll like it.

Salud!



No comments:

Post a Comment