Tuesday, November 8, 2011

You want me to move?!?

No, no one is asking me to vacate my home.  You know what I am talking about.  It's that dreaded word, "exercise."  It's there, waiting for us to make a move, a commitment and time in every day.  I am so resistant to the word that I keep trying to find substitutes that will encourage me rather than paralyze me:  movement, in motion, anything but that word which suggests a tedious routine and a schedule.  

Each day brings the same thought:  TODAY, I will start ________  (fill in your own form of exercise.  Mine is Qi Kung.)  It a resolution that, sadly, is almost never realized.  There are well-meaning DVDs in a box and equipment stored behind my couch, professional hula hoops, a rebounder, which have never been touched.  The recumbent bike I purchased is now on loan at a neighbor's.  I did manage one time last year to follow a Qi Kung dvd for a total of 9 out of 13 days.  I was so proud for a moment, but it didn't stick.  I would put it off until later and later into the day until I was following it half asleep at 1:30 in the morning.

The reality is that we all need to extend our muscles beyond their everyday activities.  It recently became frighteningly clear when my parents both landed in the hospital and were totally debilitated in a matter of three days.  When I questioned how this could be possible so quickly, my brother forcefully pointed out that, because of lack of regular exercise, they had no muscular reserves and nowhere to go but down and fast.  I heard that!

So, today:
ESCAPE FROM THE PRISON OF YOUR INERTIA!
MAKE A BREAK FOR IT AND GET MOVING!

Your muscles will love you for it and you will find yourself breathing, moving and smiling with renewed energy and ease.  Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment